‘Thinking globally and acting locally for lifelong learning’ is the theme of the 2024 Conference of the joint Universities Association for Lifelong Learning (UALL) and the Standing Committee on University Teaching and Research in the Education of Adults (SCUTREA).
SOAS, University of London, will be hosting the 2024 UALL & SCUTREA Annual Conference in London from Monday July 1st to Wednesday July 3rd. This collaborative conference will bring together practitioners, activists, academics, and policy makers from across the globe to focus on research, policy and practice, with innovation in lifelong learning and adult education at its heart.
Please Note: The deadline for submission of abstracts and proposals has been extended to the end of February 2024.
Submissions for papers, workshops and posters are particularly welcome on the following sub-themes:
1. Lifelong Learning for a changing world, including:
- innovations arising from global and local challenges
- shifting practice responding to new priorities of governments whilst keeping adults at the heart of the provision
- imperatives for different forms of LLL and adult education
- the role of place and equitable exchange of knowledge
2. Inclusivity and Social Justice, including:
- addressing the needs of different populations/groups through responsive practices
- ensuring equity and inclusivity in changing learning environments and technologies
- democracy, citizenship, and the “permanent national necessity” of adult education
- responding to the human impacts of war, climate crisis, migration, and displaced persons
3. Innovation and change, including
- innovative practices that address the great challenges facing societies
- new ways, modes, and areas of study
- new partnerships to innovate and engage adults and lifelong learners
- innovations in access, engagement and participation
How to submit your proposals
All submissions must indicate which sub-theme they are addressing and alignment with the main conference theme.
Paper presentations: please download our proposal template for use in submitting a short version of your paper, of up to 1000 words, including an abstract of up to 100 words.
Those accepted to present papers will be invited to submit a full paper for consideration for publication in special issues of the following journals:
- International Review of Applied Economics (Taylor & Francis)
- Widening Participation and Lifelong Learning (Open University)
Workshops: please send an abstract of up to 300 words detailing the aims of your workshop and the ways in which you will engage participants in interaction.
Showcase: please send a proposal on what you would showcase, and how it relates to a theme. This could be a poster session or another means of sharing best practice with colleagues.